Now that I'm grown up, I have put away childish things and now, I embrace classic silhouettes and unique pieces. But my budget has gotten accustomed thrift store prices. I mean, hello? Half off days? Are you kidding me? It's amazing! So here are some helpful tips on how to navigate a thrift store, find amazing deals, and start building a wardrobe full of one of a kind pieces. For the sake of this entry, I'm going to focus just on the Goodwill. But you could use these tips in any local shop in your area.
- Dress to shop. I am a huge advocate of "try before you buy." But, let's be real. You never know when the last time some of these articles of clothing have been washed. And if you're anything like me, you get a little weirded out by the though of that touching your bare skin. So dress appropriately! I suggest layering a chunky sweater over a cami and leggings with boots or flats. You can easily shimmy in and out of dresses and slip on shirts and skirts without adding too much bulk while staying reasonably sanitary. Oh, and bring your hand sanitizer, just in case.
- Take your time. You can't go thrifting in a rush. This isn't H&M. All of the chambray shirts aren't on a rack near the red skinny jeans, organized by size. When you walk into a Goodwill, things are organized by section - dresses, pants, jeans, short sleeved shirts, sweaters, etc. You're going to have to allot enough time to go through each piece. Take a few hours, grab a Venti coffee and work your way from one end of the store to the other.
- Keep an open mind. Just because it doesn't look great on the hanger, doesn't mean it isn't going to look great on you. Remember you have tools to make things better, like tailors, accessories, etc. If you're not sure about a piece, put it in your cart and try it on! The worst feeling in the world of thrifting is eyeing a great vintage Oscar De La Renta dress, thinking that it may not work for you and pass it up, only to see someone else fall in love with it five minutes later.
- Shop often. Inventory is ALWAYS changing. The more you go, the more likely you are to find unique items that you can use to take your wardrobe from ordinary to extraordinary.
- The Sassy Gal
No comments:
Post a Comment