Friday, February 10, 2012

DIY Manicure: Newspaper Nails

Like many of you, I enjoy getting pampered with the occasional mani/pedi. However, shelling out $40 bi-weekly to keep my nails looking in tip top shape just isn't in the budget. Not only that, but my personal style is a little more edgy than your run of the mill French manicure. I found this tutorial, which seems simple enough to do and I plan on trying it out next week. You're going to need the following:
  • Your favorite light or bright colored nail polish. I like the idea of nude nails, so I'd go with OPI's Dulce De Leche.
  • A base coat and a top coat. Some lines have a combination of both in one bottle.
  • Scissors
  • News paper
  • Alcohol of any kind, though vodka tends to work better


  1. First, cut small squares of newspaper a little larger than your actual nail. They don't need to be exact, but big enough to cover your entire nail with text.
  2. Next, pour a small amount of the alcohol into a shot glass or cup.
  3. Apply the base coat, per the instructions, then apply the color and let it dry completely.
  4. Dip the newspaper square into the vodka and make sure it's covered in the liquid, but not so soaked that you can't manipulate it.
  5. Place the square on your nail, making sure it covers it completely, and press down on the nail gently for 5 seconds.
  6. Carefully remove the newspaper and repeat on each nail. 
  7. Wait for the nail to be completely dry of the liquid, then top with a clear coat to seal.
- The Sassy Gal


No comments:

Post a Comment