Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Road To Semi-Vegetarianism

At the beginning of the year, I decided to cleanse myself emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually by taking part of the Daniel Fast with my family. For 21 days, we partook in a biblically based partial fast. We prayed and put our spirits in control of our bodies. During those three weeks, we ate only fruits and vegetables and drank only water. Essentially, a vegan diet with even more restrictions.

For me, it was an wonderful, eye opening experience. At the end of the fast, I felt amazing. So much so that I have decided to continue this as a lifestlye. Am I vegan or vegetarian? Not really. But, after seeing the benefits of a plant based diet, and realizing that I can still feel satisfied and full of energy without meat, sugars, processed foods, and caffeine, I've decided that my home cooked meals from now on are going to be vegetarian. My body feels the difference.

There are loads of benefits to vegetarian living, for example, lower risk for heart diesease, lower cholesterol, lower risk for obesity, etc. But I'm not going to lie, sometimes I want sushi. And Lord knows how much I love GBD Balls from the Twisted Cuban food truck. If you want to start seeing some of the health benefits of vegetarian living, but aren't 100% committed to the lifestyle, you can start by committing one day a week being meat-free. "Meatless Mondays" has a good ring to it, doesn't it? This will be your chance to try new recipes, different ethnic styles, and explore new flavors. Make this an adventure!

Here are some tips on how to explore meatless meals that you and your family will love!

1. Make vegetarian versions of your favorite meals.
2. Explore vegetarian recipes on sites like AllRecipes.com
3. Try some meat alternatives, like tofu and tempe
4. Pick up one of Amy's vegetarian microwaveable meals next time you're shopping for your weekly lunches.
5. Search on UrbanSpoon for the best vegetarian restaurants in your area.
Regardless of why you're exploring this option - spiritual reasons, health reasons, or just because - remember to do your research.

Keep an eye out for more recipes to come (including nutritional info)!

- The Sassy Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment