Wednesday, February 15, 2012

DIY Hair-apy: Natural Hair's Daily Repair

I grew up being told that a woman’s hair is her glory. The way you feel about your hair can, and often does, affect how you feel about yourself. So many of us (myself included) try so hard to make our hair what we THINK it should be instead of embracing how God made it. I’m guilty of using chemical-laden relaxers, hair color, blow driers, flat irons, etc. to make my hair silky smooth, only to be left with damaged, broken hair that I ended up having to chop off so that I could start over.

But, my best friend Shawntel is a different story. She has embraced the beauty that is natural hair. Every day she lets the world know that she is 100% happy and comfortable with who she is. The major downside?  Maintaining natural hair can get REALLY expensive. Since most of the products are made with ingredients found in nature, I started to hunt for recipes that provide hair with what it needs: intense daily moisture from scalp to ends.

In a spray bottle that holds at least 16 ounces, combine the following:
  • 1 cup Purified water
  • ½ cup Aloe juice
  • 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil (melted)
  • 1 can Coconut milk, separated (do not shake the can before opening it, separate the water from the milk and use ONLY the water)
  • 2-3 teaspoons Lime juice
  • 5 capsules Vitamin E
  • 2 tablespoons Vegetable Glycerin
  • 20 drops Tea Tree essential oil
  • 20 drop Thyme essential oil
Recipe courtesy of Natural Hair Diary

- The Sassy Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment