Over the last week, I got to thinking about what how I like wasting my time. I came up with the following, in no particular order - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Yes, social media is my absolute favorite form of procrastination. I found out, via Mashable, that 89 minutes of the average user's day is spent on Pinterest. Can you believe that? A grand total of 6% of a person's day is spent on a social networking pin board. I'm willing to bet that I spend twice that planning my unborn child's nursery... So If this is what I love to do, is there a way to make that a career? I found out that it is, in fact, possible to be a professional pinner! Okay, maybe not a pinner, but definitely a social media guru.
On Wednesday, I got a call from my Senior Account Executive about a client meeting she had scheduled for the following day. Turns out there was a portion of their budget which would go unused and we had to come up with ways to make sure they got their money's worth. So I started to look at the business plan to see if there were any areas of opportunity that I could give my two cents on. As I checked their Facebook and Twitter pages, I was stunned to find that they only had a handful of followers. Seriously? An organization of that size should not have less than 10 followers. That's just ridiculous. So I came up with ways to boost their social media presence. And low and behold, a career title appeared before me: Social Media Director.
But this Mad Woman doesn't stop there... Oh no... My own company could use the social media boost as well. If my company wasn't making an imprint in the social stratosphere, how could we expect our clients to trust that we could do the same for them? So I presented the idea to the head honchos and got a really great reaction. They loved it! But they wanted proof, the same kind of proof our clients would ask for.
I headed to my local book store to do some research. I never knew how much material was out there relating to the field of Social Media Marketing.
Oh, the things I do in the name of my career... But I did find three gems that any Social Media Strategist absolutely needs in their library if they plan on creating a buzz in this new age of communication. These get The Sassy Gal's Mad Woman Seal of Approval!



- The Sassy Gal


No comments:
Post a Comment